A- A+

Nathan’s Story

Nathan's Smile

My name is Jennifer Garamella and Nathan Michael Robles born 12/17/09 is my miracle baby. I was told I could never conceive, so I had accepted that fact. To my surprise I found out I was pregnant in May of 2009. I was told immediately to have an abortion due to medications i was taking. I could not accept this so I sought a second opinion. I saw many different specialists and became aware of the risks involved and decided to continue with the pregnancy because it was not a 100% that there would be any defects. We eventually found out through ultrasound that he had short limbs on he left side. Ok we could deal with that. At 6 months my appendix ruptured and I had to have emergency appendectomy as well as a complete bowel resection. They took my entire uterus out for 8 hours of surgery, then placed him back inside of me. It was then the cleft lip was discovered. Nathan and I were both given very low chances of survival. I spent 8 days in a medically induced coma. I spent a total of 24 days in the hospital. Now I was worried about the cleft lip but for some reason I couldn’t bring myself to even look at pictures I just felt completely devastated and thought maybe I had made the wrong decision in continuing the pregnancy. A family friend talked to me and showed me research and pictures and calmed my nerves about it. So 1 week before my due date i went in for a check up and they decided the next day they were going to take him via c-section. That morning as they got me ready I was prepared for some physical abnormalities, but nothing could have prepared for what occurred. When they took him out I heard nothing…no crying all I saw was a lot of commotion. Next thing I knew they pulled my boyfriend aside and told him they were going to do an emergency tracheotomy because he wasn’t breathing. They whisked him away and i freaked out. I wanted to see my baby and I became so uncontrollable they had to sedate me. I was put in surgical ICU because of a condition I have (myasthenia gravis) I didn’t get to see my baby boy for 2 days. My family was able to see him in the NICU and they took pictures for me. Nathan not only had the bi lateral cleft lip and palate but he was missing his right eye and his ears had not formed. Now they realized he had a narrow aortic arch in his heart. They said his heart would not be able to pump enough blood to his body. We were given the devastating news that he would not survive. They said he has about 10 days to live if we were lucky. We were told to plan a funeral and spend as much time in the NICU with him till he passed. Well 21 days later Nathan was still alive and appeared to be getting stronger not weaker. I finally said to the cardiologist what is the deal and he told me and my family there was no medical reason Nathan was still alive, his body was getting enough blood and they couldn’t figure out why. He said it was a miracle. I didn’t care what the medical reason was I just knew that meant my baby was going to survive. So after 2 1/2 months in the NICU Nathan came home. He still had a tr ache and a g-tube, but he was home. Nathan is now just about 8 months old and he is coming along just fine. He is going for his first surgery (a lip adhesion) on August 30th 2010. I am excited and scared. But most of all I am grateful for my little angel and if i had it to do all over again I’d still have him. He is the absolute love of mine and my family’s life.

Share this page
Site last updated December 5, 2016 @ 3:07 pm; This content last updated May 24, 2011 @ 5:06 pm